Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Happy New Year



Happy 2013! A new year always brings a sense of promise.We often make promises to ourselves
during this time by making resolutions for the upcoming year. I have learned that one of the best promises that you can make is to take better care of yourself. This can be through improved dietary practice, more exercise, or organizing certain aspects of your life, among many other possibilities.  
I am finding that it is vital to find time to do the things that you love in both your work and your play,
and to recognize when things get overwhelming and adjust accordingly.


The Mummers Parade, a unique Philadelphia tradition!
 Oftentimes it can be too easy to do nothing but work in anticipation of future successes. However, by not creating personal time for enjoying ourselves, we sometimes ignore the basic joys of life. When we take time to nurture ourselves, we actually become more productive in our work. 

For example, I love to cook and teach. However, when I do too much cooking or teaching, I sometimes start to ignore other parts of my life that are important to me (such as personal projects, having fun with my friends and family, or cultivating my hobbies). In the long run, not making time for personal enjoyment actually hinders my productivity and enjoyment in my work. Taking the time for some self-care, such as going to a yoga class, swapping massages with a friend, or giving myself a facial makes me a better chef and teacher. Making the time for small personal pleasures brings a sense of satisfaction and joy in my life, and ultimately  makes me more relaxed and productive in my work.


One of my favorite daily personal pleasures is the body rub. Doing the body rub each day is a great way to incorporate some self-care on a daily basis. It only takes about ten minutes of your time, and you always feel alert, refreshed, and relaxed afterwards. If you want to learn how to do a daily body rub, check out Denny Waxman’s book “The Great Life Diet,” which has detailed instructions, or order the DVD “The Art of Skin Rejuvenation.”


And, for the ultimate in self-care, come spend a week at the Strengthening Health Institute! Check our website for upcoming seminars and events.


Broad and Washington New Years Day, 2013
I hope this year brings many good things your way, 




No comments:

Post a Comment